The San Joaquin County Office of Education declares its commitment to Sustainability.
· A 500-Kilowatt solar photovoltaic parking structure will cover two acres and provide 80% of the electricity used at the Wentworth Education Center.
· Five- Level II Electric Vehicle charging stations will be installed on campus by Spring 2012.
· A California Energy Commission incentive program is funding installation of 42 1600-watt rooftop wind turbines; six on each building.
· NEW: We will launch a Clean Transportation Technologies Academy in Fall, 2012 with a new 9th grade class and 10th grade class. Students will study electric vehicles, alternative fuels, transportation systems, urban planning, and more!
· Coordination among staff, students, and our waste collector has led to a 50% reduction in landfill-bound material and significant paper stock being recycled.
· Additional recycling services will include metals and glass, batteries, books, paint, and food waste and organic matter.
· Significant changes to the campus design will encourage pedestrian use over vehicles and enhance campus safety and beauty.
· Regenerative landscaping practices and rainwater recovery systems will be employed with the goal of reducing our water use by 50%.
· Motivational events, staff awareness efforts, and educational signage are among projects that will be led by students from the Venture Academy Family of Schools....and more to come!